October 17, 2009

Nut Up Or Shut Up

Friday night I saw the movie Zombie Land. I enjoyed it because it had a good balance of comedy, over the top gore, and action. I also liked the spin they put on the overly cliche situation that every zombie movie has in it involving a family member being bitten.

I was surprised by the cameo of a certain Hollywood icon, and the short story line involving him.

I felt that the film was well cast and well acted. The story is more of an ensemble piece rather then a Woody Harelson vehicle. Nothing against Woody, he's great.
Although it is a simple plot and rather short for a feature film I liked the fact they did short flashbacks to each character's life prior to the outbreak. However I do think they could've given a bit more of Witchita and Little Rock (the nicknames of the two girls). Yet, the flashbacks did do a good job giving a rationale to Woody's character Tallahassee.

The character Columbus is keeping a list of survival tips during the course of the movie. In a clever movie the makers of the movie add these tips in relevant scenes via cgi. For example at one point Columbus is running from a zombie and via CGI they put Tip #3 Cadio on the pavement they're running across.
There may be holes in the logic of the plot, but it is not meant to be over anaylzed by pseudo intellectuals and eggheads. Overall, Zombie Land delivers the goods in entertaining and fun zombie flick. A good movie to unwind and let go with.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait for it to come out on DVD. I took Care to see it for her birthday, and I don't think she's ever shut up about it since. ;) I'm just waiting for her to tell her grandmother to nut up or shut up.

    This is the first thing since NBK that I've liked Harrelson in. I think I actually managed to get past the Cheers Woody... for once. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger